Luciano Barbera on style:
It’s not enough to have beautiful clothes. Lots of people have beautiful clothes. In fact, some people have too many. What is important is what you do with them. On the following pages I share some comments on how I dress and what I have taught my sons. Of course, they do not always take my advice. But that is the point. Neither should you. Look, listen, learn, and discard where appropriate.
A suit tells the world you are ready for business. A jacket tells the world you are open to fun. For me the ideal jacket should have soft and natural lines and balanced proportions. It should fit you but not constrict you.
I do not believe in stiff shoulder pads.
That is vanity, not style. Do not make it too tight. If it’s too tight, you will look like a matador. Any time I see a man playing golf or tennis in his jacket, I know he and I could be friends.
There are many schools on trouser length. In America they are often worn so that the pant leg tumbles over the shoes.
Many Europeans now wear them quite short. You even show a little sock.
What can I say? Perhaps we Europeans are secretly afraid of flash floods. The picture at right shows, quite literally, where I stand. I call this the Mid-Atlantic Solution since it is halfway between Europe and America.
The pants just breaking lightly on the shoe. I do not want to see your socks, but I do want to see your shoes.
I know I have said you can have too many clothes. But I take that back where shirts are concerned. The shirt is a triumph of modern life, like the automobile or the web.
It is easy to put on and take off, quick to wash and easy to store. Plus, shirts look great. A man should own as many shirts as he wishes - the more the better.
I personally have so many shirts that I sometimes walk into my closet, pull one out, and think to myself, “Now where did that come from?” Having lots of shirts will allow you to surprise yourself with your own good taste.
The tie follows the culture. In the 50s I wore a bow tie. In the 60s I tied a Windsor. In the 70s I went open-necked. In the 80s I had a big aggressive knot that said, do not mess with me. Now I find that what I want is a less-fussed-over-knot with a soft pleating.
It is simple. It is declarative. It feels right. How will I wear my tie in the next decade? Who knows? Ask me then.
Everyone knows you wear wool in the winter, linen in the summer, and a straw hat from June 15th to Labor Day. Everyone is right. And therein lies the problem. Follow these rules and you will look like everyone else. Better that you display a little originality. On the gravest days of winter I put on my gray flannels, a cashmere tie in a sober color and my white linen jacket.
The pants keep me warm. The tie gains me entrée into good restaurants. The blazer reminds me that summer will come again.
Source: Luciano Barbera
- celibatairemaisnondisponible reblogged this from romeingshutter
- radamez reblogged this from dieworkwear and added:
- jrfamilia likes this
- vortextonothingness likes this
- jpbrumit likes this
- sheetzr likes this
- citystreetwalkers likes this
- suavebynature likes this
- letempsfige likes this
- macsdojo likes this
- drivingincarswithpocketsquares likes this
- therakesregress reblogged this from laboreethonore
- scentedgarden likes this
- romeingshutter reblogged this from laboreethonore
- refuse2becommon likes this
- laboreethonore reblogged this from dieworkwear
- superfly77 likes this
- jessechiawu reblogged this from dieworkwear
- jessechiawu likes this
- mannybricks reblogged this from dieworkwear and added:
- degendorff reblogged this from dieworkwear
- fraudexposit likes this
- ideasofmarch likes this
- coldbrain likes this
- benkraal likes this
- theresacrackineverything reblogged this from stylings
- stylings reblogged this from dieworkwear
- giantbeard likes this
- ryanmat reblogged this from dieworkwear
- pussymouthed reblogged this from dieworkwear
- mrblacklauren reblogged this from dieworkwear
- eroteme reblogged this from dieworkwear
- disenchantedyouth reblogged this from dieworkwear
- grubi likes this
- cvp reblogged this from dieworkwear
- digby2006 likes this
- schmitttt reblogged this from iqfashion and added:
- austrianwonder likes this
- gblackmon reblogged this from dieworkwear
- designgood likes this
- catchusthefoxes reblogged this from thisfits
- theincredibledancinglawn reblogged this from iqfashion
- theincredibledancinglawn likes this
- dieworkwear posted this