I’ve been looking for a new pair of plimsolls for summer. Plimsoll, as you know, is the British term for shoes with a canvas upper and rubber sole. The first was invented in the 1830s and was designed for beachwear. Thus, its original name was “sand shoe.” In 1870, however, people started calling it the “plimsoll” because the horizontal colored stripe that ran along the upper of the sole resembled the plimsoll line on a ship’s hull. The name has stuck ever since.
These days, the plimsoll isn’t necessarily just for beachwear. You can wear them anywhere, and they make for great summer shoes. Classics include Superga, Spring Court, and Jack Purcell, but there are a dozen others.
Originally, I was just going to get another pair of Superga 2750s, but in my search, I came across these 1705s at Oi Polloi. It has slightly less stitching, no red logo, and all around seemed a bit cleaner looking. There are pairs being sold on eBay right now for $55 plus shipping, which if you’re in the States costs about $23. Don’t bother trying to skirt it by looking for a US supplier. I gave it an hour and couldn’t find one. It seems only the British have these.
Mine came in the mail last week and I quite like them. It’s a simple enough design that it’ll look just right with cotton chinos and madras shirts this summer.
Note, if you decide to get a pair, check with the seller regarding sizing. I’m between a 9D and 9.5D in most shoes, but have to go to a UK9 or 43 EU for Supergas.
- gaucho-mokum likes this
- mostlydesks reblogged this from dieworkwear
- flexistentials likes this
- firstscene likes this
- hatsformexico likes this
- byronas likes this
- californiakid619 likes this
- crhappenstance likes this
- happy-stephen likes this
- chalice-stick likes this
- octocho likes this
- buzzedinfinity likes this
- ooukku likes this
- xylophonekills likes this
- 06220311 likes this
- ilgalantuomo likes this
- thisuniverseishaunted likes this
- evolutionofagentleman likes this
- facemafia likes this
- bienaguila likes this
- racemyheart-raisemybreath likes this
- glasshouseshirtmakers likes this
- escatts likes this
- whiskeyandfistfulofpills likes this
- kellerwhale said: droppin knowledge. love these kind of posts!
- carolinastyle likes this
- martinsantos reblogged this from dieworkwear
- nobodyargueswithaharpoon likes this
- martinsantos likes this
- spacious-thoughts likes this
- josjah likes this
- bisforb likes this
- jamesnord said: i dig.
- dieworkwear posted this